Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Ferrite

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring Ferrite
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:20:09 -0700
That's a great idea, Rick -- if you have access to a test rig with sufficiently low stray to get accurate data at that frequency and at that impedance.

W1HIS came up with a simple method to identify a core material is #31 or #43. Because the bulk resistivity is relatively low, you can measure between two points on the core with a simple mechanical Ohmeter. The #31 material will show some conductivity, #43 and #61 will not. #77, #78, and #73 have even lower bulk resistivity, so will show even more deflection with an Ohmeter. W2DU used #73 for his string of beads common mode chokes (the W2DU balun). His original designs used hundreds of them to achieve a high choking Z, but those who sold them cheated, and used a lot fewer beads, and those chokes could not handle power (because the choking Z was not high enough).

The resistivity data is in a chart on pages 4 and 5 of the Fair-Rite catalog (pdf page numbers 6 & 7). .The curves plotting u' and u'' are on the following pages, one material per page.

73, Jim K9YC