Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 22:04:17 -0400
On 4/12/2014 6:48 PM, Mike Reublin NF4L wrote:
R9 or AV-680? Why?

I can't speak directly for the R9 and AV680, but I can forthe R8 and AV640. I have both. The AV60 and R9 are much alike, but there are major differences.

The AV640 uses stubs and capacity hats for tuning. Each band is basically tuned without interacting with the others. It's very easy to tune.

The R8 come from the same basic design and has the same or similar matching network, but uses a mix of traps and capacity hats. The one I have was a royal PITA to tune and matching was a problem.

The club set one up for a member (I believe he was a member) and gave up on the matching network. They wound a new matching transformer, but left the choke balun alone. With the new matching transformer they were able to match it on all bands. I do not know what the problem was with the transformer

IIRC the R8 was short a couple screws, but nothing serious that I didn't have on hand.

I've had 2 AV640s and one R8 plus the one the club set up for someone.

From those "few" experiences, I'd choose the AV680. I actually ordered one for a backup antenna earlier this afternoon.

These are only two experiences with each antenna so they may not be typical.

I should add that after the bees built a nest in the one AV640, I've had problems with antennas. "I think I've lost a ground somewhere and have current flowing on the feedlines. I have some serious trouble shooting ahead.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73, Mike NF4L