Re: [TowerTalk] Welding Rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Welding Rebar
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 14:37:40 -0400
On 4/13/2014 1:56 PM, Gary Schafer wrote:
Roger,

"My thoughts" which I'm afraid will be a bit wordy! <:-))

J-Bolts, or the properly sized and threaded rod for the largest future tower that could be installed "should work" IF that configuration meets the future tower's specs including the number and placement of the rods.

You might find the half inch plate to be a bit on the light side.
I think you will find that welding the ends of the ears to the plate Vs welding the length to the rod may require some adjustments in size and welding approach. You can't just stand the ears on the plate and weld. The entire contact area has to be welded which requires tapering the end of the ears so the weld starts at the center and is layered out to the edge. The finished appearance should "look like" the ear were stuck on the plate and a neat weld were made around the periphery. A certified welder would have no problem layering it up to the desired, final appearance (with no voids), but an engineer has to tell him what area of weld and what it's welded to is acceptable.

This is the highest stressed area for the entire tower installation. Get a qualified engineer to go over the base to make sure it's strong enough for present and future plans.

Modifying the base is no simple task. "It should be OK if it matches future and present designs for the same or larger towers

It's not me, but were it me, I'd find a competent engineer to go over the plans and welding needed/acceptable as well as all other fasteners.

It sounds like a good approach, but I'm not an engineer.

Good luck.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

I have one of those towers to put up one day too. I was thinking rather than
weld the ears to the large rod as the factory shows, using threaded rods
coming out of the concrete and using a 1/2 inch plate to bolt the rods to.
Then welding the ears on the plate that then bolt to the tower.
That way I could easily use the foundation for a different tower if I wanted
to change to something else.

The threaded rods also make for easy leveling of the tower.

What is your opinion of that?

Thanks
Gary  K4FMX