Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Myths?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:32:13 -0500
I used galvanized water pipe in place of EMT for water-drilling a hole for a ground rod. I put a "T" at the top of the pipe and cut the bottom end of the pipe at an angle like a hypodermic needle. One side of the T is screwed onto the male threads on the pipe and the adapter to join a water hose to a galvanized pipe is screwed onto the horizontal part of the T. The top part of the T gets a cap. You can tap on the cap with a hammer to help get through hard spots. The ID of the pipe needs to be larger than the OD of the rod. You may want to fill the pipe with Epsom Salts before starting to increase conductivity in the ground near the rod. You can refill the pipe with Epsom Slats by removing the T temporarily during the process.

The same setup (less the Epsom Salts) can be used to "drill" under a sidewalk for things like placing a ground radial.

I have a "demo hammer" (miniature electric jack hammer) and have fashioned a "tool bit" for it that is a concave cup. This combo will drive in a 8 ft ground rod where a sledge hammer couldn't (rod would bend.) Two or three lengths of pipe, say 1, 2, and 3-4 ft with ID a little greater than the OD of the ground rod will keep the ground rod from bending when delivering really robust sledgehammer blows. Start with the longer pipe and as the rod is driven change to shorter ones. The pipe keeps the rod from bending under the blows of the sledge. I have not needed the pipe "exoskeleton" when driving with the demo hammer, just with the sledge.

When driving is just about impossible with a sledge I have found that the demo hammer will git 'er done, albeit sometimes slowly. Digging out a little funnel shape at the surface and pouring in water usually makes the driving easier and faster but not always. Epsom Salts in this little funnel shape will increase your ground conductivity. The above comments are not necessarily appropriate in all cases, especially where the sub surface structure is essentially solid rock.

Of course YMMV!

Patrick NJ5G

.