Re: [TowerTalk] ROHN TOWER BOLTS UPDATE

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ROHN TOWER BOLTS UPDATE
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 14:15:44 -0700
It's worth a look at N7NV's FEA analysis of guyed towers to gain some understanding of what is going on. http://k7nv.com/notebook/towerstudy/towerstudy1.html

If the tower is bending under load (and I think it does except for a unique pier pin & guy configuration) then one face or leg is compressing and the other is stretching. Whether the stretching exceeds the guy load isn't clear from the FEA data, I think Kurt only shows the maximum compressive load. However, with enough stretch in the guys (e.g. those who use nylon rope for guys) the tower can fail in tension in a leg as well as buckling in the compression leg (i.e. the tower becomes a freestanding implementation). Note that the goal is for the tower to stay in column, no matter how much it leans, and that is a big advantage of the pier pin base with the right guys, as the base pivot eliminates the bending load on the bottom sections.

IMO, both leg bolts are absolutely required!

Grant KZ1W