Re: [TowerTalk] Buring Bury-Flex

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buring Bury-Flex
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 08:51:51 -0500
There is nothing magic about using grey, sold as conduit, PVCinstead of white water line PVC. Water line PVC can be purchased in various strengths such as schedule 40. Here is a chunk of a Google hit: PVC Pipe-Schedule 40. Corrosion resistant pressure pipe, IPS sizes 1/8” through 24”, for use at temperatures up to and including*140 °F*. Pressure rating (*120 psi*to*810 psi*) varies with schedule, pipe size, and temperature...

Why assume the "conduit" will fill with water? When installed properly PVC is used in domestic water supplies successfully with NO LEAKS for decades and decades after installation, including being under pressure and or with water temps into the 120's (not all PVC is specked for high temp but your underground temps will not likely exceed 100F and certainly not 120F..

If after installation you seal the ends (entry and exit points of your coax) with RTV or other long lasting waterproof material, why would you assume the PVC will fill with water?

I have some buried 3 in PVC conduits for coax, control wires, and power wires and a shop air line and after a couple years no water.

How can I test? I always leave a stout cord run through the conduit so pulling yet another cable is easier. I can use it to pull a small rope through the conduit run and then use the small rope to pull through a balled up dry rag. The rag comes out dry indicating no water in the conduit run. Admittedly your conditions may be harsher than mine with a greater freeze depth but without water in the conduit freeze depth isn't so important.

A different angle. The coax is bury flex and OK to run underwater. If your PVC filled with water, froze, and burst the coax would likely not be harmed and the now leaky conduit would still provide armor protection to deflect the errant gardening trowel or spade.

Patrick NJ5G