[TowerTalk] BuryFlex burial

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BuryFlex burial
From: r miles <greenacres113@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 12:43:44 -0400 (EDT)

Getting ready for two BF runs to the new tower. It will be in PVC. Since it's out of site I use the white PVC. Costs less than the gray. The main worry about moisture is temp. variation causing the PVC to 'sweat' inside & eventually to get water in the lowest spot of the run. My run to my HyTower is apx. 120' in PVC. Downhill all the way but there's a dip about 20' from the HT. I drilled several 1/8'' holes on the bottom of the PVC at it's lowest point. The PVC is several inches below the surface all the run. At that low point I dug a hole the size of a 1 Lb. coffee can & filled it with pea gravel. Any moisture will run to the low point & exit thru the holes into the gravel. I prefer to seal the end where the coax exits at the tower base. We have lots of nasty insects in W Tn & don't want them finding a home. Here if you store EMT, PVC or aluminium elements they need to be taped on the ends to prevent insects from entering. We have 'dirt daubers' & they can stuff mud 6'' into the ends. A real pain flushing them out. It hardens like cement. Other bugs like the ends of my spare Rohn 25 sections as home. I've flushed them & they are taped too. I learned the value of 'drip loops' in the coax lines coming off towers. At the old QTH I forgot to add one & one day I discovered a spoon full of water on the OP desk behind the radio. Whether it ran inside or outside of the coax I don't know but it managed to find it's way inside the house.

K9IL