Re: [TowerTalk] ProSisTel 2051d failure.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ProSisTel 2051d failure.
From: KD0Q-Glenn <kd0q@traer.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 09:18:27 -0500
Hi Bill,

I use a PST 2051D using the Prosistel D controller to turn an M2 7&10-30LP8. The antenna is specified as 13 sq ft of wind load, the 2051D is rated at 29 sq ft. I have two rotors so as to have a spare.

So far I've had 3 failures. The first problem was the direction POT, one leg was an open circuit. I could still turn the antenna using a 12 V supply and a DPDT toggle switch and eyeballing the direction by peeking out the window. On inspection, the POT had rusted and failed. The POT is not expensive and easy to replace if you have the rotor on the ground.

The other two problems were the DC motor to worm gear shaft coupling. Symptoms were what you described, rotation became less and less responsive until no rotation at all. I did see some position change in high wind, but the worm gear held windmilling to a minimum.

My two 2051Ds have different shaft coupling arrangements between the DC motor and the worm gear shaft. Both use a shaft coupling that goes over the DC motor shaft and then slides into the worm gear shaft. The difference is how the coupling is mated to the DC motor shaft and keyed to the worm gear shaft.

The 1st rotor has a shaft coupling with two set screws which tighten on the DC motor shaft flat and the set screws protrude enough to also act as a key into the internal key-way of the worm gear shaft. The set screws had come loose and the coupling had worked its way off the DC motor shaft. I reinstalled everything using blue Loctite on the set screws. This rotor is back in service and time will tel how it holds up.

The 2nd rotor has an external keyed shaft coupling that is pinned to the DC Motor shaft and keyed to the worm gear shaft. This rotor only lasted a few months before the roll pin sheared off. Replacing the roll pin is an easy inexpensive fix. But I'm thinking about using something stronger like a pressed in dowel pin. The dowel pin should last longer, but the next failure will probably wallow out the hole in DC motor shaft, which is a more expensive repair. But what is tower work worth in the dead of an Iowa winter?

Hope that helps.
73, Glenn - KD0Q