Re: [TowerTalk] 1/2" Hardline connnectors

To: "'Arthur Caswell'" <acaswell4238@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1/2" Hardline connnectors
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 12:27:46 -0400
> I have a question about 1/2" hard line connectors.  I have
> some Cableweave
> 1/2'' S-LFC 12-50J hard line that I would like to use to
> between an antenna
> switch and beam on a tower.  I dont have any Cableweave
> connectors but do
> have some Andrews 1/2"
>
>  LDF4-50A connectors.  Can the Andrews connectors be used on
> the Cableweave
> hard line?

No.  RFS/Cablewave S-FLC12-50J is 1/2" 'superflex', which is similar to
Andrew/Commscope FSJ4-50B.  The "S-" prefix in the RFS part number indicates
'superflex'.  Note that RFS re-designated the "S-FLC" cable line to "SCF" a
couple of years ago, so if you look for current-vintage connectors, search
for "SCF", not "S-FLC"

Andrew/Commscope LDF4-50A is non-superflex Heliax; it is simliar to
RFS/Cablewave FLC12-50J or LCF12-50J (without the "S-" prefix).

Connectors for regular Heliax are not compatible with superflex cables.  An
immediate giveway to see that they are not compatible is that superflex has
a helical ("spiral") corrugation, whereas LDF has a annular ("rings")
corrugation.  The diameters of the jacket, outer conductor, and inner
conductor are also dissimilar for a given nominal cable size (1/2" in your
case).

                                --- Jeff WN3A