[TowerTalk] FW: Aluminum for protective ground?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Aluminum for protective ground?
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 22:25:28 -0500
Hi Tony,

It is not a good idea to use AL to expand your ground system.   The galvanic
corrosion at the CU-AL joint would be negligible compared to the rate of
corrosion loss of the AL metal in direct contact with the soil.   Aluminum
is very electronegative compared to most other metals and will become
sacrificial as a buried component in your ground system.  In fact, Aluminum
is sometimes intentionally used as a buried sacrificial anode for cathodic
corrosion protections systems.

Matt
KM5VI