[TowerTalk] Subject: How do bldg inspectors handle screw in earth anchor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Subject: How do bldg inspectors handle screw in earth anchors?
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 06:13:20 -0700
It sure does depend on the building inspector.  I have had inpectors that
crawled all over the place, wanting the drawings, prints, engineer approvals
and asking for information that they really didn't need but you provide just to
get them to approve your installation.

I have had others that stamped a rough sketch on a fast food napkin and didn't
even come out to the site.

Figure out what the guy wants and get it to him and get the ordeal over with
before he can think of something else to ask you to provide.

In the QTHs I have lived I couldn't imagine using a screw-in anchor though.
The soils guys can confirm this but the pull out force is essentially based on
a cone of soil with the point at the anchor screw.  The soil composition
determines the slope of the cone.  For some soil that slope changes with
factors like how saturated with water the soil is.  In Houston, you could have
a nice big cone of soil holding that anchor in on a dry day and after a weeks
worth of saturating rain you could pull a screw-in anchor out by hand with a
large sucking sound.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 1