[TowerTalk] TH-7DX Balun

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TH-7DX Balun
From: Byron Tatum <bjtatum1@att.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 15:02:26 -0700
Hello-
  I thought I would ask here first - my question is about a good balun to
use. I feel I should not use the BN-86 balun that is supplied with the TH-7DX,
I have read too many bad things about it.
  I know the Hy-Gain BN-4000 is recommended to replace the BN-86. I was
studying the materials used in the BN-4000 and was thinking about replacing the
internals of my BN-86. I managed to get my BN-86 case apart without damaging it.
  There is a video on U-Tube about a defective BN-4000; the gentleman took the
cover off in trying to find what was wrong with it. What confuses me is he
describes, and shows in the video, a stub of small teflon coax that is not
terminated. In the video you can see another length of coax, with the cores
placed on it and terminating at the SO-239 connector, which he removed out of
the potting material. I thought these baluns were constructed by placing about
50 type FB77-2401 torroid cores on short length of RG-303 coax, with nothing
else. Is there something else? I thought I would ask if anyone is familiar with
how the BN-4000 is built.
    Thanks, Byron WA5THJ