Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Stripping Tool For RG8X & Crimp Style PL259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Stripping Tool For RG8X & Crimp Style PL259
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 02:52:25 -0700
Dick

I found the following in the back pages of QST. ALWAYS a good place to start.

DX Engineering has this stuff. They sell a rather unusual style of cable stripping tool, the DXE UT-8213 stripper for 0.405" OD cable and the UT-808X for RG-8X size cable. See their web site for a list of cables which they will handle.

To see how to use it check out http://orcadxcc.org/ and look under Tech Tips for how to use it for RG-213 and LMR-400. The same method should apply for RG-8X.

DXE will sell you a crimping tool which will work for both coax and Anderson Power Poles.

They have Amphenol Connex 182115-10 UHF Male Crimp Connectors for RG-8X

Also, Quicksilver Radio has this stuff. They'll even sell you a tool kit with strippers for RG58 size cable and the .405" dia. cables, a crimper for both coax and Power Poles and a coax cutter.

Who needs a coax cutter? If you don't already have one, you do. They cut the coax very cleanly and leave it nice and round so you don't have problems fitting the connector. The same cannot be said for side cutters or hack saws (or, shudder, cold chisels).

73, Jim VE7FO