[TowerTalk] Trylon 72' Tower

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trylon 72' Tower
From: Byron Tatum <bjtatum1@att.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 14:58:17 -0700
Hello-
   I have the heaviest version of the Trylon "Titan" 72' self supporting tower.
It has been up about 9 years approx. About 3 years ago this tower experienced
winds of about 100 MPH, as my location was in the eyewall of Hurricane Ike for
about an hour.
   The tower only had a stacked pair of M2 432-13WL yagis on it at the time. It
damaged the yagis severely and put a slight (permanent) bend in the 2" OD x
6061-T6 mast.
   However, my concern is that we noticed, right after the storm had passed,
that the tower had a noticeable "lean", in the upper third or so. toward the
east. The strongest winds during the eye were from the west. It is hard to tell
exactly, but when sighting up either of the legs on the east side (it is
leaning slightly to the east)  it appears there is a change in the direction of
legs about 30' up. However, what bothers me is that it appears there is a
steady curving going up either leg on east side, making me think the tower
suffered a bend.
  Right after the storm I removed the yagi remnants and rotator, secured the
mast and left it until I had time to try and correct it.
  A friend of mine told me that what I needed to do was to examine the bolted
leg junctions and see where the west-side leg pulled upward, with east side
legs moving downward. Then, loosen the west-side leg bolts and pull that side
back downward, which should fix the problem. I have examined the bolted
leg junctions but really cannot tell if there was any movement.
  I thought I would ask: Would it be more likely that the bolted leg
junctions changed (due to uplift on upwind side and compression on downwind
side) or did the tower just get bent?
    Thanks, Byron WA5THJ