Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Insulated elements, Yes - No?

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, "'WA3GIN in Alex. City, VA'" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Insulated elements, Yes - No?
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 08:20:22 +0100
It was only an idea, but at least I can share the thinking behind it...

The aim is to use a HF (20-10m) beam with insulated elements for top loading
the whole tower on one or more of the LF bands, so we need to connect the
insulated elements to the boom. We could use a short jumper wire, but only if
we could guarantee finding the exact electrical center of the element;
otherwise there would be some risk of detuning the elements away from their
normal operating frequency.

(This could be a particular problem with SteppIR elements because the true
electrical center is not easy to identify or connect to.)

My engineering compromise would be to use an inductor of a few microhenries,
which would behave more like an RF choke on the higher bands so the exact point
of connection would not matter quite so much. There would be no detectable
effect on the resonant frequency on the lower bands because the inductance is
relatively small and positioned quite close to the top.

50uH would have a higher reactance at HF, but that amount of inductance might
also begin to affect the LF resonance. A higher inductance also involves a
higher voltage gradient across the coil, and anything  resembling a plate choke
carries a risk of parasitic series resonances. You'd need to model the whole
structure to be certain of the numbers, but my gut feeling is that "a few
microhenries" would  be a better compromise... and almost certainly better than
a plain piece of wire.

73 from Ian GM3SEK