Re: [TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B
From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:09:12 -0000
Gentlemen,
     I hope my previous comments were not dismissive of a problem with
repairs.    It does seem that MFJ has an overloaded repair department which
is not particularly well managed.   They could turn this around.

     A decade back I had summer employment for a few years with a
Connecticut company involved with electronics for the security industry -
this was a quite considerable firm.    Their repair back log was going back
nearly a year and it was frightening to look at the shelves stacked with
work that was gathering dust.    The new VP of manufacturing brought in a
new manager for the repair department and turned this around in about four
months maintaining a two week turn around from then on with careful logging
of all work.   So we can hope MFJ does something similar.

     We do however need to remember that the USA (EU as well) is a high wage
economy; I am sure in Mississippi technicians are paid above the norm.   A
MFJ 259B costs all of $259 so maybe it is an expendable - not a nice thought
but perhaps a reality.   It is not worth a lot of hassle.   How are other
well known companies, with Chinese import QRP radios when it comes to
non-warranty repair?   I do not much like the throwaway society but with
surface mount and real product cost dropping there is a practical problem
when it comes to repair.

    Meanwhile I am happy with my MFJ 223 and 259C analyzers.    I do not
want to use a laptop or tablet while up the tower or out in the damp
weather.   There analyzers are amazing for the money.   How can people sell
supposed analyzers which do not even measure reactance?

    When I needed some vertical mounts for a four square, I ordered 14AVQ
bases from MFJ - thank you for this MFJ.   Ameritron amplifiers are less
expensive than TenTec, Alpha, Acom so of course the build quality is not the
same yet they do seem to operate reliably for many in our hobby.  We pay for
what we get.

    I hope no one is offended by any of this as I do not wish to ruffle
feathers but feel we need to consider some of the good in this company and
to question how MFJ is able to offer repairs for a 259B at any type of
affordable price.   We are living in a high wage economy - I am grateful
that MFJ is able to manufacture as much as they do in the USA.    Yes some
product is made elsewhere - this is a global economy.

                  73 Doug EI2CN