[TowerTalk] Grounding Multiple Buildings

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding Multiple Buildings
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 16:22:23 -0700
This afternoon, I pulled out my 2002 copy of NEC and found the section applicable to what we have been discussing. I suggest that those who rail at my stupidity and tell me how wrong I am do the same. It is chapter 250.32. Exhibit 250.16 applies directly to my installation, and shows only phase and neutral run between buildings, with neutral bonded in both buildings.

Poking around for a while with google, I learned that 250.32 was, indeed, changed in the 2011 edition to require that the ground conductor be carried between buildings, but installations like the one I described are specifically permitted provided that they comply with previous editions of the Code. The 2014 edition of the code spells out that exception in greater detail.

Here's the relevant section of the 2014 NEC. When reading it, remember that "the grounded conductor" and "the grounded circuit conductor" refer to the Neutral, and "the Equipment Grounding Conductor" is "the green wire."

=   =   =   =   =   =

   250.32Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch
   Circuit(s).

     (A)Grounding Electrode.

Building(s) or structure(s) supplied by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s) shall have a grounding electrode or grounding electrode system installed in accordance withPart III of Article 250 <https://www.inkling.com/read/national-electrical-code-2014-fire-protection-association/chapter-2/iii--grounding-electrode-system#0cea2eaa64664fc8b71aa9edb947622a>. The grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be connected in accordance with250.32(B) <https://www.inkling.com/read/national-electrical-code-2014-fire-protection-association/chapter-2/ii--system-grounding#15e3af26e92e4c9e9a46b550b86d2c34>or(C) <https://www.inkling.com/read/national-electrical-code-2014-fire-protection-association/chapter-2/ii--system-grounding#a17b15ce47544c399d6ac94585a70de6>. Where there is no existing grounding electrode, the grounding electrode(s) required in250.50 <https://www.inkling.com/read/national-electrical-code-2014-fire-protection-association/chapter-2/iii--grounding-electrode-system#715ca3f2213743d8b1c39e012350acf5>shall be installed.

/Exception: A grounding electrode shall not be required where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire branch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor for grounding the normally non—current-carrying metal parts of equipment./

     (B)Grounded Systems.

       (1)Supplied by a Feeder or Branch Circuit.

An equipment grounding conductor, as described in250.118 <https://www.inkling.com/read/national-electrical-code-2014-fire-protection-association/chapter-2/vi--equipment-grounding-and#4160cdae62a442cd9b30baba0a99655c>, shall be run with the supply conductors and be connected to the building or structure disconnecting means and to the grounding electrode(s). The equipment grounding conductor shall be used for grounding or bonding of equipment, structures, or frames required to be grounded or bonded. The equipment grounding conductor shall be sized in accordance with250.122 <https://www.inkling.com/read/national-electrical-code-2014-fire-protection-association/chapter-2/vi--equipment-grounding-and#e247a77a0d734de5b340f8f0c4b1ba74>. Any installed grounded conductor shall not be connected to the equipment grounding conductor or to the grounding electrode(s).

/ExceptionNo. 1:For installations made in compliance with previous editions of this Code that permitted such connection, the grounded conductor run with the supply to the building or structure shall be permitted to serve as the ground-fault return path if all of the following requirements continue to be met:/

1./An equipment grounding conductor is not run with the supply to the building or structure./

2./There are no continuous metallic paths bonded to the grounding system in each building or structure involved./

3./Ground-fault protection of equipment has not been installed on the supply side of the feeder(s)./

/If the grounded conductor is used for grounding in accordance with the provision of this exception, the size of the grounded conductor shall not be smaller than the larger of either of the following:/

1./That required by220.61 <https://www.inkling.com/read/national-electrical-code-2014-fire-protection-association/chapter-2/iii--feeder-and-service-load#26da8323c5794538a81f4571c94b261d>/

2./That required by250.122 <https://www.inkling.com/read/national-electrical-code-2014-fire-protection-association/chapter-2/vi--equipment-grounding-and#e247a77a0d734de5b340f8f0c4b1ba74>/

/Exception No. 2:////If system bonding jumpers are installed in accordance with////250.30(A)(1) <https://www.inkling.com/read/national-electrical-code-2014-fire-protection-association/chapter-2/ii--system-grounding#0ced4916402044edbe29319bf4f95a2b>, Exception No. 2, the feeder grounded circuit conductor at the building or structure served shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductors, grounding electrode conductor, and the enclosure for the first disconnecting means./^^ //

Bottom line -- what I did in my buildings was according to Code in 2010 when I did it, and the installation is "grandfathered" by the 2011 and 2014 Codes. But it is not permitted now.

73, Jim K9YC