Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Multiple Buildings

To: John Lloyd <lloyd@ussc.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Multiple Buildings
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 17:38:52 -0700
On 9/15/14, 10:02 AM, John Lloyd wrote:
Jim,

Many of today's switching power supplies with RFI filters in the AC
input have these capacitor from the line input to ground.

The pi filters on the input?

Yes, but the capacitors are also pretty small, designed to keep the 10s of kHz switching currents from propagating back up the line, so the leakage current is pretty small.

They also make sure that they have sufficient ratings, etc., to not create a hazard.

For example
http://www.vicorpower.com/documents/user_guides/brick/UG_PFMVIBrickFilterEval.pdf

shows a typical input filter.. it's 4700 pF after the bridge rectifier, and with the balanced choke, I think the AC Line/Ground leakage will be quite small.

I think most EMI filters are differential mode (e.g. between the two line conductors), not "line to ground" (because of the issues with safety, etc.)

That's very different from "two 0.1 discs soldered across the line cord"
,or, 0.01 uF as shown on page 123 of my 1972 handbook "A 700-Volt General Purpose Supply for Transceivers"

Or the similar balanced Pi filter for RFI reduction shown in Figure 16-1 on page 483

John Lloyd, K7JL

Message: 6