Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum tube and pipe

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum tube and pipe
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:30:38 -0400
On 9/17/2014 1:41 PM, David Robbins wrote:

6 or 7 feet is as long as you'll get via Fed-X and UPS. Longer, goes motor freight with a hefty minimum charge. I get 10 or so full length pieces. Check the types. There are much better strengths for masts than T-6, prices vary widely. I had a load of antennas (years ago) come in when I had a business in Breckenridge. We loaded the KLM and Wilson antennas onto the pickup at the depot. Went in to sign.When I got home I was short an antenna. Somebody got a bunch of expensive Aluminum while I was inside. Take some one with you in cases like that.

If you live anywhere near a city, they probably have a number of suppliers. I use Alroe(sp?) In Bay City MI. However the industrial supply places are unlikely to have many stock sizes that will slip fit and the finish isn't likely to be a polished finish like the antenna suppliers use. I don't know their minimum order for them to get the discount prices, but if a group wanted to go in, they might get 20 or 30 24' lengths.

That's why the ham suppliers have high prices. They have a lot of overhead to stock just to be able to sell the stuff at a price hams will pay.

DX Engineering will sell longer pieces if you are willing to go the freight.

There's one other limitation. That stuff comes on long trucks that need to get to your driveway and out again. I have to have big stuff, drop shipped to the local airport where I have to meet the truck. Oh, yah. YOU are responsible for unloading what ever and getting it home. The trucker is only responsible for getting it there. Normally they will not help although I have had them lend a hand when it appeared it might take one more body with the equipment we had so they wouldn't be late for their next drop. Time is money!

With only one side working, I'm pretty well out of getting those big pieces delivered..

73

Roger (K8RI)

I have been wary of ordering tubing from McMaster-carr or many of the other
industrial places... if you look you will see that they don't specify that the
tubing is seamless, it is also not one of the common antenna tempers like t6 or
t832.  they also only have 6' lengths listed unless longer stuff is elsewhere.
I prefer to go to a supplier like marmon-keystone:

https://www.marmonkeystone.com/ecomm/servlet/ProductSearchServlet?producttypeid=1&producttype=alumseamless#top

if you use their search app you can see that they break down tubing by welded
or seamless and its all t6.  they also have longer lengths, up to 24' I think
for aluminum... and at least they used to have free delivery at least in some
areas.  and they offer services like swaging, though I have never used them for
that.