Re: [TowerTalk] planes and towers

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] planes and towers
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 13:50:31 -0500 (CDT)
before I put up my first tower 30 years ago I was warned about just such things
in this area.  so I called the local base and gave the operations officer my
coordinates and told him the tower would be up the next weekend.  sure enough a
flight of A-10's came through, did a few circles, and went on their business.
they were regular visitors until the local wing was upgraded, now I never see
their replacements.  but it sure was interesting to be able to wave at the
pilots as they circled you on the tower.  more recently we had a c-130 coming
through usually late in the evening, he scares me because he comes right over a
small ridge and you can barely hear him before he is right on top of you... I
have never gotten any of the bases that were suggested as sources to admit it
was one of theirs, but after a few calls it seemed to go away... I didn't
really want to stop them, I just wanted to make sure they knew there was a 190'
tower on their normal path.