Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 15:23:00 -0400
On 9/23/2014 9:55 AM, Bill via TowerTalk wrote:

Through the years, I never slipped on a tower, or needed the fall arrest, but I was very slow and methodical. OTOH, I averaged well over 30,000 miles a year from 1960 through 1997 which totals well over a million miles. I never needed the seat belt, air bags, and crumple zones until that SUV shot out in front of my TA. I left less than 12 feet of skid marks and stopped so quick all the antennas on the car pointed straight forward. Even the TM-D700 control head smashed the mount flat. I made use of the seat belt, air bags, and crumple zones and walked away with just a few bruises. The TA was totaled!

When flying, all that emergency training seems a waste, but I practiced those procedures diligently.. Nearly 2000 hours and no problems, but then I had three engine failures on climb out in less than 3 years. Put it back on the airport without bending anything every time. Talk about an adrenalin rush!

So it is as in climbing, That stuff is just excess baggage until it's needed. THEN you really appreciate it.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Back in the 80s and the 90s I free-climbed many times too.   One day after
reaching the top at 165 feet I decided to lean back from the tower  to begin
my work.  Only problem was I hadn't put the belt around the  tower.  My
mind did a self check and right before I let go, I didn't.   I quickly put my
belt around the tower and actually shook for a while, thinking  how close I
had become to being a silent key.
Wearing a seat belt has been rather useless over the years too. I've
never been in an accident where I needed it.  But, you only  need to use it one
time to save your life.
Belt up guys! K4XS/KH7XS In a message dated 9/23/2014 1:38:39 P.M. Coordinated Universal Time,