Re: [TowerTalk] Common mode choke.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Common mode choke.
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 15:44:50 -0400
On 10/9/2014 3:37 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:

Don't know if this went or not.

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 10/9/2014 3:01 PM, Mike Reublin NF4L wrote:

It works OK for me on a center fed half wave. A single choke at the feed point wasn't sufficient, so I added a second where the feedline reaches the tower. The choke is right against the tower . With the single choke and the highly imbalanced 75 meter fan dipole when the power reached about a KW IIRC all the controled LEDs would light. At the legal limit, they were bright. When I added the second choke, located st the 20' level on the tower, the RF in the shack disappeared even with the amp at the full legal limit with a steady carrier.

Yes, I'm sure the tower affects it, but it works. You didn't say what bands your half slopers are on, but I assume 75 and maybe 160. To get a 45 to 60 degree angle on 160 takes a tower of 100' or more
I wrapped the coax for my 1/4 wave slopers thru 6 toroids. The bundle hangs so
it touches the tower. Zat OK?

73, Mike NF4L

Roger (K8RI)

Roger (K8RI)