[TowerTalk] Modern station design, or updating.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Modern station design, or updating.
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 02:33:40 -0400
On 10/16/2014 11:29 PM, RMorris wrote:
I'm getting ready to think about touch screen monitors

A touch screen monitor "at the right angle and distance can be a joy to use, but they do have drawbacks. If not located and positioned correctly for you, you can rapidly run into sore, hands, arms, back, and shoulders. (Positioning is very important) You'll need to check for RFI susceptibility and still keep your keyboard for many things. Above all else: Keep your hands clean.

I've lost track of how many systems I've built, but it's over 20 top end systems in the past couple of years. I retired from a CS systems project manager and my wife says I spend more time on them now.. The last one under construction is a 5 GHz, 8 core CPU with 32 GB of RAM and one or two TB of storage. Water cooling and a full size, steel tower case The extra drives are coming out of the machines and going into a NAS accessed via dual channel wireless. SSDs are now less than I used to pay for much smaller HDs, but SSDs in the NAS at 35 plus TB is out of the question.

I currently have 32 TB spread between 5 machines. A nearby lightening strike made a mess of the network and one computer. (took out the router and switch) I want to get rid of the CAT5-CAT6 hardwired network, even though they all pass through the protected ports on the UPSs A touch screen using HRD in here and at the station in the shop would give access to either station, even on the road, from any "hot spot".

I have HRD in both locations, but working with one hand has really slowed me down so it's not in operation at present. Another reason for SS QRO amps in each location. I do have a Yaesu KW that needs help that I hope to get to one of these days, but that's not a true QRO amp.

I basically have the LM470 base and installation fixture finished, but have to wait for a dryer yard. I may just have to bite the bullet and redo the yard after the trucks leave. which will not leave my wife overjoyed. OTOH she's beginning to see the yard may have to suffer to get all these projects done.

Usb relay board prices are not extra bad.

They are easy to build as well. Easy and simple and the assembled prices are quite attractive.. You can also insert power into the line out at the end.

http://www.newegg.com/Touch-Screen-Monitor/SubCategory/ID-514

http://www.weedtech.com/index_relay-out.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+relay+boards&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Newegg has had some really nice prices on touch screens, bur the larger screens are still pricey and I want nothing to do with Dell or HP monitors. My smallest monitors are 24" with the largest being an Asus, 1 ms 27". My wife says I must be keeping one division running with my business<:-)) and it was not a compliment. The toy truck (UPS or Fed-X) is here a couple times a week.

73

Roger (K8RI)