Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking a 2L 40M and Tribander

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking a 2L 40M and Tribander
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:30:54 -0700
My XM240 and KT34XA are about 10 feet apart on the top of 100 ft of Rohn45.
The mast is 22 ft of chrome moly, 11 ft in  and 11 ft out of the tower.  I have
always (2 QTHs in 20 years) stacked the XA on top and the XM240 on bottom.  I
did this for two reasons.

1)  I figured the 2 element 40M beam would be more likely to break and
servicing the bottom beam would be easier.

2)  Element droop on the 40M beam is greater and on the bottom it wouldn't
bring it closer to the other antenna.

Well I have never had to swap out either antenna.

I also place the antennas at 90 degrees to each other to minimize the 15-40M
interaction.  I also do this because I contest with SO2R and it allows me to
have the antennas pointed in the right directions at the same time.  I can be
working 10-15-20 to the SW as the band is dying and have 40M coming up to the
SE at the same time.(home QTH is Detroit but it worked the same way when I
lived in Houston)

My tower is 100' tall so the height isn't a big deal but I can see how if you
are only at 50' having the extra 10' on 40M would be better.

There's no wrong way to do it depending on what you want to do.

Earl
N8SS