Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:34:44 -0700

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 06:49:13 -0500, Keith Dutson wrote:

>My experience shows the difference is time.  No clamp can be expected to
>maintain its contact area with the wire and rod in soil over a long period
>of time due to chemical reaction between the soil, wire, clamp and rod.
>Cadweld solves this problem by isolating the chemical action to external
>parts of the connection.

REPLY:

First, I wouldn't worry about a few microns of corrosion, especially
when lightning is concerned. A lightning bolt has already traveled
thousands of feet through an insulator (air) - another thousandth of
an inch of corrosion is nothing.

Second, as someone pointed out, the clamp itself should not be buried,
for two reasons. One to reduce corrosion and two, to permit
inspection.

73, Bill W6WRT