Re: [TowerTalk] MA550 noise when lowering

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MA550 noise when lowering
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 23:00:12 -0400
On 10/28/2014 7:12 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

On 10/28/2014 1:46 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
Hello

I owned a used tower MA550. Aftee I installed it, no noise when lowering the
sections one inside the other. But recently I noticed that when I was
lowering it, aftr some 15 ft it started to do a very high noise

First thing to suspect is bad pulley bearings.  Especially being
a used tower.

And that high pitched squeal certainly sounds like a dry pulley/bearing/bushing, or a dry metal to metal surface. (Oilite bearings/bushings don't usually do that.) Quiet to begin with the squeal building sounds like a dry, tight bearing getting hot with use. If it's steel there will be some rust powder. Dry bearings are harder to find. Don't use WD40. Try spraying one bearing at a time with LPS-2. It leaves a lubricant behind. One at a time will find the specific bearing/pulley quicker, but that squeal probably means accelerated wear, so shooting them all with the idea toward replacement might be better for the tower.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)

Rick N6RK

Roger (K8RI)