Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 16:10:24 +0000
Jim,

If I wind exactly the same number of turns of the same cable with identical spacing on the same-size toroids, but use two different core materials, I get very different values of equivalent C. The only thing that is different is the core material.

I initially thought the dielectric effect of the core material might be the significant factor; but as an experiment I built a parallel-plate, circular, capacitor with the toroid fitted between the plates, and didn't measure much change in capacitance with different mixes.

Steve G3TXQ