[TowerTalk] Terminate braid at top of tower...or

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Terminate braid at top of tower...or
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 23:19:41 -0800
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 13:43:57 -0600
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Terminate braid at top of tower...or

There is no RG-393 inside my Array Solutions or Cal-Av Baluns.  Perhaps
you are using 10,000+ watt versions?

John KK9A

##  I have 393 in both the array solutions  w1jr boxes and also the cal-av
EB-3 bead baluns.  Array solutions rates their box at  10-20 kw.... which I find
hard to believe..esp with just 4 x 2.4 inch od , type 31 cores used. balun is
rated for
160-10m.  The cal av balun is rated for 10 kw... and down to 8.5 kw on 10
+12m...
and 5 kw on 6m.   The cal av balun will take it easily.

##  for the small amount of coax used in either style balun, I figured 393 was
a better bet.
It only has a 13 ga stranded, silver plated center conductor.  It will hit
200deg C
when maxed out.    The smaller rg-400 /303 coax only has a 18 ga center
conductor.
It too, runs hot when maxed out.   They both need to be silver soldered.

##  last thing anybody wants is a blown balun..esp when way out on a boom.  I
have seen
several pix of folks removing huge arrays with a crane... then replacing the
blown balun with
an identical one !   They will get a repeat performance....and do it all over
again. The hassle
and expense of taking down a yagi is a pita..and huge $$ if a crane used.
The slightly added cost of building the balun stronger is well worth it.   If
it wont handle at least
2.5 kw RTTY  CCS   24/7 with 3:1  swr.... and some added inbalance, don’t
install it.

Jim  VE7RF