[TowerTalk] Mixing oils in HDX689

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mixing oils in HDX689
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 07:30:02 -0800
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 09:40:21 -0800
From: Thomas Noel <tnoel@mac.com>
To: TowerTalk@contesting.com

> ## I had notes on that..since I own a 5000 lb, old style HDX-689.
> I believe if you had dino oil in the gearbox... and wanted to switch to
> synthetic, after draining the old stuff,   you need to use some special
> flushing compound 1st.    Then after flushing done, and drained,
> the synthetic can be added.

Mobil says there is NO PROBLEM with mixing synthetic oil and natural dino oil
in any ratio for use in cars and motorcycles, so I can?t imagine how there
could be a problem in your gearbox. That gearbox has nothing like the
high-speed shear forces found in automotive applications, and expensive
synthetic oil is a waste.

Flame-proof suit on?

Tom
kf7rsf

##  This is NOT an eng..nor an auto or manual tranny !   It’s a speed reducer
with a 60:1 ratio..and it uses a sky high viscosity.    The entire operation
and ratings of the hub city gear boxes
are based on heat and temp rise. The damned things can get hot, depending on
the application.   I did find the tech notes on hub citys website.   They spec
3 different types of oil for it.
http://www.hubcityinc.com/SingleReduction.html    The box in question is a
model 381, with the 60:1 ratio.    here are the ratings..depending on which of
the 3 oils are used
http://www.hubcityinc.com/documents/6b-wormgeardrives.pdf#page=19

http://www.hubcityinc.com/documents/6b-wormgeardrives.pdf#page=24  pages B5 and
B8 discuss in depth, the differences between the 3 types of oil.

later... Jim   VE7RF