Re: [TowerTalk] Frost, conduit, and stuff

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Frost, conduit, and stuff
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 21:16:20 -0500
On 11/12/2014 6:24 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 11/12/14, 2:18 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
My conduit tower runs (away from the house are only about a foot down.
Frost line IIRC is 36"
Photos near the bottom of the page.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm.  Heaving due to
frost has never been a problem.  Codes do not apply as there is no power
other than the low voltage to the rotator.

In general, technically not true, unless your local authority has exempted it. Rotators are typically Class 2 low voltage, but there's plenty of electrical code to cover that.<grin>

Local authority (county or township) does not issue permits for ham stations, tower, etc. In fact they refuse to do so even if you want one.. I have the last one issued for my 100' 45G. The only rule I have to abide by is the set back. With a 200' X 200' lot, I can go 100'. They don't care what I put on it. I could add a two section, self supporting mast that would take my top antenna to 140' and that could be a 21' tall vertical to make 160 feet. I started to explain, I had a mast extending 30 feet with that array on it. He stopped me and asked, "How tall is just the tower?" I replied "100 feet". He said. "your good! We don't care and don't want to know what you put on it. BTW, we no longer require or issue permits for ham towers.".

I happen to be on the center line for the GPS 06 at the local airport. Even if I had lots of land, if the FAA hasn't changed the rules the proximity to an established airport with runways over 3000 feet, and/or published instrument approaches limits my tower height. If you know the area, you can tell if you are where you are supposed to be because you will fly directly over my house. If you can't see the house, visibility is below minimums for that approach.

They were in the process of rewriting the zoning regs. I( called about tower height, ham towers and the airport which were in the new regs. I explained the FAA already had rules about tower tower height, and airports. Also, they were a bit possessive about those rules.So the township went from rather restrictive tower rules to none but the setback. As this is rural with a few rural subs they are not much of a problem. You could probably put up anything reasonable with no problem unless a neighbor complained. So getting involved does make a difference.

73

Roger (K8RI)

  Locally, permits are not
required for ham towers and stations. Code does apply to electrical
circuits with permits required for new circuits, both 120 and 240 which
IIRC $25 for each breaker installed and must be inspected.

Roger (K8RI)