Re: [TowerTalk] coax crimp tools

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coax crimp tools
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:15:05 -0800
On 11/16/14, 5:43 AM, N2TK, Tony wrote:
That time of year to send my wish list to Santa.

One item I am interested in is a crimping tool for coax and powerpole
connectors.

Looking at the DX Engineering DXE-UT-CRMP2 ratcheting crimper and also the
TRIcrimp from powerwerx.com

Any recommendations on which one or possibly other ones that are good for
RG-8 and Powerpole connectors?

I have the TRIcrimp and it works great for power poles. What's really nice is that there's a sort of pocket that you shove the pin into that gets the crimp position in the right place, and it doesn't fall out.

You will also want a nice small strong screwdriver to use for removing the pin from the connector after you make a mistake and put the red wire into the black housing.

A slightly different screwdriver makes a good "push the pin into the housing" tool.

While you can change the inserts in the crimpers, over the years, I've just evolved to having a separate crimper for coax, for powerpoles, for Molex pins, etc. The "handles" are the inexpensive part anyway, and I kept losing the other inserts in the bottom of the toolbox.

The other thing you should get is a good stripper. A multilevel stripper for coax makes life MUCH easier.