Re: [TowerTalk] PowerPole connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PowerPole connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:53:57 -0800
On Mon,11/17/2014 10:10 AM, Thomas Noel wrote:
I now buy ONLY 12v supply equipment, and I immediately cut the power cords and
install PPs. That way I can power/charge every single piece of gear from a
common power source ranging from car battery to wall wart to bench PS.

I do the same. Power poles came on the K2 that I bought around 2004. From that point on, I began standardizing on it. I've never used a crimper on them -- all of my Powerpoles are soldered. Except for power amps and computer, everything in my shack runs on 12V. My batteries and 12V power supplies have the much bigger gray Powerpoles installed, and I made adapters from that connector to multiples of the standardized red/black pairs. I have bought several of the 8-connector blocks, and use three of them in my shack.

I do a lot of changing in my shack, adding gear, replacing gear that I've upgraded, taking stuff out of the shack for Field Day, California QSO Party county expeditions, and VHF grid trips. Powerpoles make all of that a LOT easier and cleaner. For CQP, we do four 600W stations. Each has Costco's biggest 12V deep cycle battery, a small 12VDC supply to float-charge it, and a Honda 2000i. Powerpoles make it much easier to combine equipment from multiple participants.

73, Jim K9YC