[TowerTalk] Cordless solder irons

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cordless solder irons
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 06:43:55 -0800
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:10:23 -0800
From: "Don " <w7wll@arrl.net>
To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors

Which brings a question to mind. Why is there not available for sale a
decent battery powered soldering iron. Sure would be nice when in the air
not to be tied to an AC power cord. I did a search (probably not very deep)
and found some battery powered irons but nothing that would deal with a few
UHF connectors out and away from the 'house'. A friend from Australia who
was in the 2-way radio business had a couple he brought when he immigrated
from Oz but I've been unable to find that they are made anymore.

Anyone have information on such a tool for use whilst up in the air??

Don W7WLL

##  from 1979-1989...in the telco I worked in 400 miles north of here, we had
a cordless, rechargeable soldering iron.  Think it was a weller...was orange in
colour.
Worked superb.... but never tried it outside.. only inside.  They were real
small, light weight,
fit in your pocket. A lot smaller than a normal pencil iron.    I believe they
would work fine
outside.  A comment here. Silver plated PL-259s  are a LOT easier to solder vs
the nickel plated types.   I gave up on amphenol nickel plated /teflon PL-259s.

##  I picked up 2  dozen van gordon silver /teflon  PL-259 years ago.  They
solder
real easy.

##  Id check out cordless types 1st.   You can probably get em with spare,
quick swap out
lithium batteries no doubt.   The propane /butane types would also work, but
are more cumbersome
heavy etc... esp up a tower.   In good wx... Id run an extension cord up the
tower..and use my
american beauty 100 w iron, with the .375 inch chisel tip.   We used dozens of
those irons in the telco,
back when a lot of wiring was still being soldered.   I have a few of them.
You can also get the bigger
ones, like 150w and up to 600 watt.   The 100 w version... used to solder a
silver plated coax connector,
is super fast.   The bigger ones like the 500-600w are used for plumbing..where
a blow torch cant be used.
The bigger ones work great for stuff like tubing type tank coils, large wide cu
strap, etc.

Jim   VE7RF