Re: [TowerTalk] Coax loss. Has anybody measured it ?

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax loss. Has anybody measured it ?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:34:37 -0800

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:56:53 -0800, Jim T. wrote:

>I highly suspect if folks actually measured the power at the top of the tower,
>vs the back of amp..... they would be in for a rude awakening......esp on long
>runs...and on upper bands like 20-10m.

REPLY:

"Top of the tower" got me to thinking.  One way to solve this problem
would be a tower-mounted amplifier.

It should be broadband, i.e. no tune except for SWR matching, power
supply on the ground and with remote monitoring.  It almost certainly
would be solid state.  You would still have to run coax for the drive,
but it could be smaller, such as RG-58, and losses would not be so
much an issue. Just crank up your transceiver to get the required
output.

One major problem would be protecting it from lightning strikes.

Manufacturers, are you interested?

73, Bill W6WRT