Re: [TowerTalk] Is There a Good Balun...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is There a Good Balun...
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:31:56 -0500

"back in the days" they also thought connecting one side of the A/C
to chassis  was a good idea, too.

"Back in the day" it wasn't all that uncommon to get a "bite" from the
microphone - another symptom of common mode RF - particularly when
using a windom with an unbalanced tuner, an elevated vertical, etc.

Low levels of common mode RF may have caused some rough sounding audio
but when the RF voltage on the mic got high enough - the lips were
plenty sensitive to a "high" voltage point on the mic.  Just because
many amateurs did not use effective "baluns" did not mean there wasn't
a need for them ... equipment was not quite as sensitive to the typical
RF voltages created and we did not know to test for that kind of thing.
The transmitter tuned into whatever SWR was present and there was no
thought to the "third wire" in a coaxial cable.  Some antenna makers
even provided a strap to connect one half of the driven element of
their tribander directly to the boom!

Today's solid state equipment gets upset by 3 to 5 volts of RF ... the
old tube gear wasn't phased by 20 or 25 volts.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV