[TowerTalk] Dipole gain conclusions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dipole gain conclusions
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:08:36 -0500
Gentlemen,

We can conclude that a "full size' dipole has a gain of 2.14 - 2.18 dB over an
isotropic radiator in free space (We better "cross the "T"-s and dots the "I"-s
here). A very small dipole (with no losses) also called Hertz dipole has a gain
of 1.76 dB in fee space. Crossed dipoles fed 90° out of phase have maximum gain
in the CP direction.

The radiation pattern is depending on the environment (Was there anybody that
didn't know that?) such as closeness to ground, type of ground, surrounding
trees, hills etc.

Finally, there is no simple way of make an antenna that has an even power
distribution across the hemisphere.

Best 73 and thanks to everybody that contributed to this discussion,

Hans - N2JFS