Re: [TowerTalk] Low loop in a sloping configuration

To: "xdavid@cis-broadband.com" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Low loop in a sloping configuration
From: Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 14:35:15 +0000 (UTC)
I actually do have the exact same setup- an inv-V at roughly 90' with both ends
sloping a couple of hundred feet away from the tower. The apex is more likely
~120 degrees than 90. It works really well (skimmer data shows actual
performance much better than theoretical), but I was wondering if I can improve
on it, particularly on receive where I feel I don't hear well enough. I guess
my question is "if a piece of wire of certain length works really well, what
happens if I double the length of the wire".
Rudy N2WQ

I'm curious what you desire to achieve from such an antenna.  It's not
likely to be an improvement over what you already have.

A few years ago, before I was able to put up my current tower and yagis,
I suspended a 40m diamond-shaped loop from a 55 foot tall pole ...
sloped toward Europe from here in Arizona and fed at the bottom apex.
It worked OK, mostly because I live on a steep hillside facing Europe,
but in my opinion it didn't offer anything special other than it was
also possible to use it on other bands with a decent tuner.  Keep in
mind that unless you feed it at one side for vertical polarization that
half your current distribution is going to be pretty close to the ground.

In my opinion, you'd be better off stringing an Inverted-V from the top
of your tower if you want something horizontally polarized to complement
your existing verticals.

73,
Dave   AB7E