Re: [TowerTalk] RTV

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RTV
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 23:13:32 -0500
On 12/28/2014 3:45 PM, Phil Snyder wrote:

I worked with the company that developed the first RTVs for many years, but I've been retired for quite a while so my information may be a bit dated.

Most RTVs are of a similar formulation based on either a silicone, or latex base. The Silicones come in two varieties, one using Acetone and the other using Alcohol. They cure using the moisture in the air.

73

Roger (K8RI)

I have a number of tubes of Loctite RTV 598 Black Silicone. It states that it is low odor and non-corrosive. Does anyone know if this is similar to, say, the Permatex brand sold by DXEngineering? I see that Summit sells both but DXE only offers the Permatex brand. Looking at the MSDS for each they appar similar but not identical.

thanks in advance.
Phil
N9LAH

Roger (K8RI)