Re: [TowerTalk] RF Ground is not a Myth

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Ground is not a Myth
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 20:03:43 -0500
On 1/23/2015 9:15 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

Can't one specify a perfect ground (even though impossible in the real
world) when modeling antennas? Is that not a useful exercise as an
educational tool?

The only good reason for *assuming* homogenous (uniform) earth is that it
makes the math simple enough that we can write the equations and solve
them on computers that we can afford to have on our desks, and within a
reasonable length of time.

I find it helpful to solve the extreme limit cases in both directions and a few points in between to get an idea of the shape of the curve.

-Steve K8LX