[TowerTalk] Fwd: Lightning protection - length of grounding rods runs fr

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Lightning protection - length of grounding rods runs from tower?
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 23:15:34 -0500
Ray,

With your ground conditions I would make .. sure to have a very good connection
between the tower and the shack ground. I myself have a 6" wide aluminium strip
(not aluminum foil but of an aluminum sheet) between my tower and the shack
ground. I also used 9 grounding rods, each 4 feet down around the tower, That's
the only grounding for my shack - tower. The power line has a safety ground but
I believe that I should (any day now) connect the house ground with my
shack/tower ground with a heavy wire/strip.

If the lightning strikes the tower you want to make sure to minimized the
voltage potential between the tower and the shack (and whatever else is
connected). I have no other suggestions. I suspect you will have a tough time
to make any good ground connections the way you describe the ground conditions
around your location.

Good luck with your installation and best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS