Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:18:26 +0000
Yes, they can be on top of each other.  The dxengineering version actually
recommends open wire feedline for their system:
http://www.dxengineering.com/search/product-line/dx-engineering-reversible-b
everage-systems?autoview=SKU&keyword=beverage&sortby=BestKeywordMatch&sortor
der=Ascending
I like theirs because it is well isolated, but it is also vulnerable to
lightning, I've had to replace each end a couple times over the years... a
heavier set of transformers would probably be better.  It is also a bit
expensive unless you really want to use the remote switching and only bring
in one feedline... if you want to do phasing or feed multiple radios like I
do you need to bring in both direction feedlines separately.

Straight and level is not all that important, mine go up and down following
the ground.  The important parts are keeping them about the same distance
above the ground, within a couple feet anyway, and keeping the wires about
the same distance apart... this means the height above ground should
probably be kept between 5' and 10', you don't want it to be 20' above
ground unless it is going over a narrow ditch or has to clear a
road/driveway for a short distance.  The twinlead approach makes keeping the
spacing easy, on mine they can vary from about 6" to maybe 12", I like to
keep them in the 8-10" range.  And yes you can use trees for support, I used
to use a cordless drill and stick electric fence fiberglass rods into trees,
the only problem is they are hard to remove if they are damaged, the good
thing is you can just cut them off and the tree grows over them.

A ground rod is all that is required, though I like to add a couple radials
on the ground just to make it look a little more like an rf sink.  One thing
you don't want to do is to put the ground right under the last support,
taper it down at an angle to the ground.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net