Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Pulleys for antennas in trees

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Pulleys for antennas in trees
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:25:33 -0800

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:32:00 -0800, Jim wrote:

>I can't dispute your mechanical engineering and rigging thoughts, but I
>strongly prefer flat dipoles if I can rig them.

REPLY:

Flat dipoles certainly work, but inverted vees have a couple of
advantages:

1. Easier to erect.  Only one support point is needed.

2.  With the apex at 1/4 wave above ground and the included angle
approximately 90 degrees, they are almost perfectly omnidirectional in
azimuth. No dead spots like a flat dipole has off the ends.

No antenna is perfect. To each his own.

Bill W6WRT