Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G tower permitting

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G tower permitting
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 09:47:27 -0500

> <snip>
> "Rohn has a section in their catalog for unguided towers which
> includes Rohn 25. They call for something like 2.5? x 2.5? x 4? of
> concrete for the base. I?m not sure I really want to be up 35 feet
> on that, but it has been in their literature for as long as I can
> remember. "
>
> <snip>

First, it's *GUYED* not "guided" ...

Second, the Rohn specifications for free standing Rohn 25 call for
*very little* wind load area even in the old 60 MPH wind zones.  There
is no way a freestanding Rohn 25 will pass muster with a WARC beam
in a 140 MPH wind zone.  *Maybe" Rohn 55 or 65 will do the job but
there are no off the shelf designs for that application (at last to
my knowledge).

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV