Re: [TowerTalk] HDBX-48

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDBX-48
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 18:25:00 -0500
On 1/31/2015 6:12 PM, TexasRF--- via TowerTalk wrote:

If I make my own, I use solid rod. Galvanized pipe is soft, bends easily. Solid rods are as easy to work with.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Hi Tom, these towers are made by Thomas Shelby Co in Ohio now and you find
them with a Google search.
Some users have made their own base stubs by purchasing a 10ft length of
galvanized pipe and cutting into three pieces. The size that is just less
than  2" OD will work just fine. Then you will need to drill two holes in each
pipe  piece to match the bottom section mounting. Six bolts can then be used
to fasten  the pipes to the tower legs.
If you are concerned about water collecting in the pipes and subsequently
freezing/splitting you can place six inches or so of crushed rocks in the
bottom  of the foundation hole to allow drainage. Or you could fill the pipes
with  concrete but that is a messy job.
73,
Gerald K5GW
In a message dated 1/31/2015 3:00:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,