Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Center Insulator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole Center Insulator
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 12:20:31 -0600
There are some pretty stout insulators available intended for electric fence construction. They are found at places like Orchelns, Atwoods, Tractor Supply, and other farm and ranch supply stores. Skip the small plastic "egg" type if your dipole is to have much tension and opt for the larger stronger plastic ones or the quite stout ceramic units.

There are ceramic insulators with built-in lag bolts. You can mount these back to back with the lags overlapping and weld the lags together to get a very stout two hole insulator. These insulators are used for stringing overhead electric utility wires and are stout. Electrical supply houses may have these with bolts instead of lags which lets you just drill a couple holes in a piece of metal and bolt both insulators to it. This gives a stout double hole insulator and is easy to attach a lanyard around the bolt if you are wanting to support the center of the dipole with a lanyard vice just line tension.

Patrick   NJ5G