Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Mosley (Antenna Gain)

To: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Mosley (Antenna Gain)
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:24:48 -0800
An NEC4 analysis shows a 5+5 20m stack beats a dipole at the same max height (125') in absolute gain by 10db (7.6dbi to 17.6dbi). This 5+5 owa is <1.25:1 swr band edge to edge. The dipole has several -1 to -3db high angle lobes to pick up local QRM/QRN so the stack has another big advantage for working DX. There are many bigger stacks out there that do better.

Re the other assertions, you may want to check out what designers using computer analysis have produced for very good multiband interlaced antenna designs. These interlaced designs tend to be on shorter booms because it is easier to do, and that is where the market is. Putting 5 bands on one 48' boom has been done, but it is pretty complex.

Grant KZ1W