Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:19:25 -0700
I have been using SteppIR since about 2004.

W4TV pretty much hit the gain question.

Pros:

 * Multi monobanders with no interaction from other elements as they
   don't exist.
 * Ability to use bidirectional mode
 * Ability to switch 180 degrees in seconds.
 * Reduced rain and snow static as the elements are encased in tubes.
 * Ability to tune the antenna to your needs on the fly.  I asked
   SteppIR for a  20m build that would maximize forward gain but
   minimize F/B.
 * Shorter elements with the folded element loops with a very tiny drop
   off in performance, if you are looking at the BIGGER versions.
 * Ability to retract the elements in bad weather, lightning
 * Add yours here

Cons:

 * No instant band changes with the steppir motors
 * Heavy
 * Moving mechanical parts.  Shafts have broken.
 * Tapes can have problems going through the turns/sweeps
 * If not assembled properly water can get in to the tubes and create
   issues in area with moisture and freezing.
 * Requires a controller and extra wiring

I love them. I think they work great. I have some issues. One caused by me and a cable getting damaged and one from SteppIR using a component that was not UV protected which caused the boots that held the tubes on to rot. Replaced free by SteppIR and one shaft failure.

Mike W0MU