Re: [TowerTalk] T Matches

To: "'Chuck Smallhouse'" <w7cs@theriver.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] T Matches
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 08:55:13 -0000
I'd agree with Chuck and Jim: a 20-degree squint from a correctly
constructed T-match just isn't possible. To produce a squint of that
magnitude, something at the feedpoint would need to be grossly wrong
(something like one side of the driven element being disconnected
completely).

It seems much more likely that N6BT found a batch of antennas that had
been wrongly constructed. If he had corrected those errors and retained
the original T-matches, the antennas would have worked 'as designed'.

I haven't found any evidence of squint from a gamma match either... but
what I *have* found on 6m was elevated receiver noise, which disappeared
when I changed to a center-fed driven element with a choke balun.

With and today's understanding about unwanted common-mode currents, and
ever-increasing levels of RF noise all around us, I no longer use any
matching method that directly connects the driven element to the boom.

73 from Ian GM3SEK