Re: [TowerTalk] SterIR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SterIR
From: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 13:03:35 -0500
> "I can¹t imagine spending all that money to put that complicated antenna
>up in the air
when an LPDA will do the same thing with no moving parts and, at most, 2dB
of claimed gain.²

Of course, there are still trade-offs with a LPDA.  N4CC and I recently
purchased a Tennadyne T14 (30m-10m) on a 42 ft boom.   The primary reason
for the LPDA versus mono-banders - or other multi-banders, is that it is
being installed on a tapered, 100 ft. self-supporting tower that's going
up in a couple weeks (tower prep photos on my QRZ.com page).

If we had a sectional guyed tower, the choice would probably be the same.
We would rather maintain one reasonably good directional antenna in an
intense lightning environment than a full set of mono-banders where a big,
fat vertical profile isn¹t needed - unlike the case of contest station.
The two self-supporting towers are not new (the other is 140 ft. for 40m),
and to us, it¹s not worth abandoning them in favor of guyed/rotating
towers.

Paul, W9AC