Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: SteppIR

To: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: SteppIR
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 20:25:24 -0800

On 2/28/2015 4:33 PM, Kevin Stover wrote:
If you are a member of the SteppIR Yahoo group you would get the idea.
Unless things have changed and questioning the SteppIR way is verboten
over there.
Be that as it may I wouldn't own one without a crank-up/tilt-over tower
under it.
I think it's a take it down once a year antenna.

I have a 2 element and a 4 element that have worked for 10 years
without any maintenance.  I have a MonstIR that has 7 or so years
without any maintenance.  Early in the development of the SteppIR
there were a lot of problems with the plastic reels cracking
but that was eliminated some time ago by using different
materials.

I had to do a lot of maintenance on the KLM KT-34 I used to own.
It had several known failure mechanisms.

As always, YMMV.

Rick N6RK